Nothing puts a damper on a vacation quite like rainy days. We know how frustrating it can be to get to Cape May only to find out Mother Nature’s plans don’t align with your itinerary.
Fortunately, rain doesn’t have to prevent you from having the fun-filled trip you were anticipating. The beach might be out of the question, but there are still plenty of fun things to do in Cape May when it’s raining! Below are a just a few of our favorite Cape May rainy day activities.
Check Out the Museums
Cape May has some interesting museums and historical sites that provide you with both an entertaining and educational way to pass a few rainy hours.
- Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum – This restored WWII aircraft hangar takes you back in time and gives a look into military aviation during the 1940s. The museum offers special exhibits with hands-on activities as well as actual WWII aircraft and engines.
- Emlen Physick Estate – This 1879 home turned museum is one of the best embodiments of Victorian-style architecture in Cape May. Take a guided tour of the 18-room mansion, and get a glimpse into the life of the prominent Physick family during the late 19th century.
- Cape May Fire Department Museum – Learn about the history of the Cape May Fire Department, and check out antique firefighting equipment used here over the past century. The best part is this museum is completely free to visit!
- The Colonial House – The Colonial House is one of the oldest houses on Cape Island and was the family home of the Revolutionary War patriot, Memocan Hughes. The home can be toured from mid-June to mid-September and is also free to visit.
See a Show
A sure way to stay entertained when the rain is leaving you bored is to check out a production by one of Cape May’s nationally recognized theaters.
- East Lynne Theater Company – The East Lynne Theater Company has been bringing American classics to the Cape May area since 1980 and has been ranked in the top 75 summer theaters in North America by New York Times.
- Cape May Stage Professional Equity Theater – Cape May Stage brings both contemporary and traditional works to Cape May each year from mid-May through December. The theater company puts on over 150 productions each year in the Robert Shackleton Playhouse in downtown Cape May.
Have a Spa Day
Use the rain as an excuse to treat yourself to a spa day. The day spa is a great place to unwind and forget about the weather outside.
- Cape May Day Spa – This day spa and holistic center provides a variety of ways to pamper yourself with solo and couple massages, facial therapies, botanical body wraps, detox packages, and more.
Visit a Winery or Brewery
Have a few brews and enjoy some of the unique spirits offered at these Cape May wineries and breweries.
- Cape May Winery – Cape May Winery is open daily from noon to 5pm and provides tap room tastings with tapas and brunch dining.
- Willow Creek Vineyard – Willow Creek Vineyard offers private and group wine tastings and both a lunch and dinner menu that includes farm-to-table grill options.
- Cape May Brewing Company – The Cape May Brewing Company has been brewing fresh, local beers in Cape May since 2011 and puts on weekly events such as trivia throughout the year.
There is no shortage of things to do in Cape May when it rains, and we’re confident you can still have a good time despite the bad weather!
If you’re missing out on some things you wanted to do because of the rain and are already thinking about your next trip to Cape May, feel free to browse or bookmark our selection of over 200 Cape May rentals including homes, condos, cottages, and more. We would love to host you on your next Cape May vacation!